Six Reasons Why Your Social Media Strategy Is Doomed to Fail

Are you using social media wrong?

It’s a common mistake that business owners make, thinking that social media is a free way to advertise their products or services.

However if you’re not careful, social media can be a huge time suck with very little return on investment.

In this blog post we’ll look at six reasons why most strategies fail and offer some tips to fix them! Keep reading to learn more!

It's a common mistake that #businessowners make, thinking that social media is a free way to advertise their products or services. Here are 6 items to avoid when it comes to your #socialmedia Click To Tweet

1. You’re not engaging with your audience

If you’re not engaging with your audience, then what’s the point? Social media is all about engagement. If you’re not taking the time to interact with your followers, then you’re doing it wrong.

Take the time to show your audience that you care about their experience with your brand. Respond to their comments and questions. Start conversations. Be social. And engagement will follow.

2. You’re not posting the right content

Great content solves problems for potential and existing clients. If your content isn’t useful, why would anyone engage with it? Make sure that your social media content is helpful, informative, and interesting.

Your social media strategy should be focused on providing value to your audience. That means creating and sharing content that is relevant to them. If you’re not sure what type of content your audience wants, ask them!

3. Your posts are too promotional

Social media, as the name suggests, is a social environment. People are not there to be sold to.

In a perfect world, you’ll have the same people following you on social media and subscribed to your email lists. Engage via social media and sell via email.

In a less perfect world, a good rule of thumb is the 80/20 rule – only 20% of your posts should be promotional. The other 80% should be a mix of content that educates, entertains, and inspires your audience.

4. You’re not targeting the right audience

Any kind of marketing, whether it be social media marketing, email marketing, content marketing, etc., is only going to be effective if you have a targeted following. A handful of friends, family and work colleagues following you on social media is never going to get you very far.

You need to build an engaged following of people who are actually interested in what you do or sell, and this takes effort. There are a number of ways to go about doing this, such as using social media ads to target your ideal audience, partnering with other businesses or influencers in your industry, or running contests and giveaways.

However you choose to do it, remember that building a targeted following is essential for any kind of marketing to be successful.

5. You’re not using the right tools

If you’re still using social media platforms like Facebook and Twitter to try and reach new customers, you’re doing it wrong. The vast majority of social media users (80%) are now on mobile, so your social media strategy needs to reflect that.

This means creating content that is easily consumable on a mobile device, as well as looking at creating short form video content and using social media platforms like Instagram and TikTok, which are popular among mobile users.

You also need to make sure you’re using the right tools to track your social media performance. There are a number of great social media analytics tools out there that can help you track things like engagement, reach and conversion rates.

Without these tools you are flying blind and it’s impossible to know if your social media strategy is actually working.

6. Your strategy is too complex

Social media strategy should be simple and easy to understand. If it’s too complex, you’re likely to get lost along the way and give up on it altogether.

A good social media strategy should have a clear goal that you’re trying to achieve, and all your activities should be geared towards achieving that goal.

Keep it simple, tie it to your business goals , and you’ll be much more likely to succeed.


Despite what you may have heard, social media is not a free way to advertise your products or services. If you’re not careful, it can be a huge time suck with very little return on investment. In this blog post, we discussed six reasons why your social media strategy is doomed to fail and we also outlined ways to fix this. There’s still hope! If you follow these tips, you can salvage your social media presence and start seeing results. Thanks for reading!

If you’re looking for more personalised advice or would like to discuss strategy, book a call today.

May 12, 2022